The Buffalo Bill Statue – The Scout
Outside the Buffalo Bill Historical Center – home to five internationally acclaimed museums and a research library – proudly stands a bronze statue of a mounted rider. Being in a town built on western traditions and cowpoke history, a statue of a mounted rider seems like a typical thing to have. However, this statue was placed in 1924 to commemorate one of the most famous men in the world; Colonel William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody.
The statue, Buffalo Bill – The Scout was initiated by Buffalo Bill Cody’s niece, Mary Jester who then persuaded artist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney to sculpt the piece. Following a first failed attempt at immortalizing the historical significance of Buffalo Bill Cody, Gertrude thought to use a horse and cowboy from Cody for artistic inspiration. Proven successful, the statue was dedicated on July 4, 1924. The Scout stands on a large stone base at the end of Sheridan Avenue, Cody’s main thoroughway.