ripple background

Cody Heritage Museum

Address: 1092 Sheridan Avenue
Phone Number: (307)586-4272


A group of dedicated local citizens began planning the Cody Heritage Museum in 2007 and it recently opened in mid-May of this year. It is located in the historic DeMaris House in downtown Cody, at the southwest corner of Sheridan and 11th Street.  The DeMaris house was built in 1907 by Charles DeMaris, a Montana rancher who visited the Cody area for his health in 1883 and later settled three miles west of Cody along the Stinking Water (Shoshone) River at the hot springs which bear his name. Charles and his wife Nellie moved into town when their son, Bill, was about 6 and was the first family dwelling on this entire end of downtown Cody.

The house has been totally renovated by the CHM Board, thanks to the generous contributions from the Cody community, including a new roof; new scalloped shingles on the east and west sides; re-pointing of the brick both inside and out, and the painting of the brick. A new foundation under the entire house was also added.  The museum displays occupy the ground floor, with the Board offices and work area on the upper floor.  The displays, rear entry, and restroom are all ADA-compliant.

The Museum focus areas include:  Town founding, early town & area businesses, Ranching/Farming/Agriculture, Oil & Gas/Railroads, Tourism/Rodeo/Cowboys, and Early Cody Families.  The design of the displays is chronological, from the pre-settlement era through the town establishment, WWI & WWII and on through the 1950s.

June 15– September, Tuesday-Saturday 10 AM – 4 PM, Sunday 12 PM – 4 PM

Winter Hours: By Appointment

Cody Heritage Museum